1 of relatively small extent from one surface to the opposite or in cross section; "thin wire"; "a thin chiffon blouse"; "a thin book"; "a thin layer of paint" [ant: thick]
2 lacking excess flesh; "you can't be too rich or too thin"; "Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look"-Shakespeare [syn: lean] [ant: fat]
3 very narrow; "a thin line across the page" [syn: slender]
4 having little substance or significance; "a flimsy excuse"; "slight evidence"; "a tenuous argument"; "a thin plot" [syn: flimsy, slight, tenuous]
5 not dense; "a thin beard"; "trees were sparse" [syn: sparse]
6 relatively thin in consistency or low in density; not viscous; "air is thin at high altitudes"; "a thin soup"; "skimmed milk is much thinner than whole milk"; "thin oil" [ant: thick]
7 (of sound) lacking resonance or volume; "a thin feeble cry" [ant: full]
8 lacking spirit or sincere effort; "a thin smile" adv : without viscosity; "the blood was flowing thin" [syn: thinly] [ant: thickly]
1 lose thickness; become thin or thinner [ant: thicken]
2 make thin or thinner; "Thin the solution" [ant: thicken]
3 lessen the strength or flavor of a solution or mixture; "cut bourbon" [syn: dilute, thin out, reduce, cut]
4 take off weight [syn: reduce, melt off, lose weight, slim, slenderize, slim down] [ant: gain] [also: thinning, thinned, thinnest, thinner]thinner n : a diluting agent [syn: dilutant, diluent]thinner See thin
- A liquid substance used to thin the consistency of another
- ''Turpentine or mineral spirits can be used as a thinner for oil based paints.
Thinner may mean:
- Paint thinner, a solvent used in painting and decorating, for thinning oil based paint and cleaning brushes.
- Thinner (novel), a 1984 horror novel by Stephen King, written as Richard Bachman
- Thinner (film), a 1996 horror film based on the novel by Stephen King
- Thinner (netlabel), a German netlabel releasing electronic music. In particular tech house and related genres.
thinner in Swedish: Förbannelse (bok)
anticoagulant, chromogen, coat, coat of paint, coating, color, color filter, color gelatin, colorant, coloring, dead-color, diluent, dilutant, dissolvent, dissolving agent, distemper, drier, dye, dyestuff, exterior paint, flat coat, flat wash, floor enamel, flux, ground, interior paint, liquefacient, liquefier, medium, opaque color, paint, pigment, prime coat, primer, priming, resolutive, resolvent, solvent, stain, tempera, tinction, tincture, transparent color, turpentine, turps, undercoat, undercoating, vehicle, wash, wash coat